AVIDABBIE

Abbie's Book Blog!

SPOILER ALERT!
Acrobat - Mary Calmes

Dreo, you smooth bastard!

You know what? I tried to find a picture of someone that looked like my Dreo, but nada, nothing. I couldn't find anyone who looked like him... it would be a really good idea to watch some mafia movies and see whether any of them look like him. But anyway, I can only provide you with someone who looks a little like my Nate, he also doesn't look very similar, but it was the closest I could get. I did find some yummy descriptions of Dreo which you may enjoy though...
He was taller than my own six one, and I had to tip my head back to meet a gaze that was so dark brown it looked black. He had thick brows, so the effect together with the deep-set eyes was altogether dangerous. He shared glossy black hair and olive skin with his nephew, but whereas Michael was handsome, Andreo was scary... We looked up and Andreo Fiore was there, towering over both of us, all six four of him, broad-shouldered, muscular, and V-shaped, making me look small by comparison and Michael absolutely puny.

Daryl
I wanted that committed monogamous relationship, but no one else seemed to want to be in one with me.

Nate has been divorced for 20 years, having only one child. He has been searching all that time for the right man, and little did he know, there was a perfectly fine suitor just across the hall, Dreo.

Nate is 45 and getting old fast, or so he thinks. He has had more than his fair share of admirers, but he hasn't truly loved a single one. Michael lives opposite his apartment, he takes care of him as if he were his son. Dreo is Michael's uncle and guardian, but he's never around. Nate jumps in to save a woman being robbed, or worse, and is punched. Dreo finds out and acts oddly, telling Nate that they will be there no more, and lo-and-behold they're there no longer. Nate doesn't think anything of it though, but when Dreo comes back scared and covered in blood Nate begins to see him in a new light, maybe he's not so cold after all.

As per my fashion as of late, I did not read the blurb. A bit of a risky way to go; but it was well worth the surprise!

The first love interest is Dr. Sean Cooper, an old student of Nate. He is described as being attractive and charming, and yet I did not like him. Not. One. Little. Bit. I don't know why though, I hadn't even read the blurb to know that they weren't going to be together. But I had my fingers crossed that he would not get in a relationship with him, or I would have likely have stopped listening to it (Which would have been a real waste of money.). Sean does have an awful nice description though!
I quickly returned my eyes to the vision in front of me. The long, thick golden eyelashes were just beautiful, but the eyes were an even bigger thrill...With his big blue eyes and golden honey-blond hair, the man looked good enough to eat.

Nate works at a university as an English literature professor, and I thought it was really interesting and funny. I wasn't bothered about him not being in a relationship asap, I guess I was in the mood for something light and fluffy. Sean, his work, and his family were the majority of the first half, which I enjoyed. But when Dreo's boss is killed, I couldn't help not get excited though, because I fancied a change of pace! I really wasn't bothered by their insta-love, which is a huge faux-pas for me, I think it was because it took over half the book for them to even kiss... but I'm not quite sure.

I enjoyed that Dreo's descriptions gradually changed from being scary and unnoticed which showed how Nate was changing in his views towards him, which I think must have helped me enjoy the insta-love (If it was even insta-love?). I was really rooting for Dreo from the beginning also...
Andreo Fiore seemed cold to me, not the kind of man who should be raising a child. I had never once seen the man smile, and I had lived next door to him and his nephew for the last four years.
he is eventually described as being attractive and yum...
he had a heavy zippered cardigan on over a T-shirt that fit snug, clinging to his sculpted chest, showing the definition in the hard pecs and washboard abdomen. Of course the man would be covered in rippling muscle. That just followed since he was gorgeous everywhere else... They were really something, those eyes of his, so dark that you couldn't ever see his pupils. The brown was so close to black, only the way the light caught them sometimes, making them glint and fire, let you know you were looking at a color and not the absence of it. Being fringed in long, thick black lashes only added to their allure.

When they finally show their interest in each other, Dreo is really cute and adorable (and yummy). I think his accent by the narrator made him even better...
“Voglio fare l’amore con te,” he whispered into my hair.
“I don’t—”
“I wanna make love to you.”

“I never thought—” He caught his breath. “—that you could want me.”
“You’re so beautiful. Anyone would want you.”
“No,” he said, his voice a deep rumble in his chest.

When Nate and Dreo further develop their relationship (after like half a day) and he becomes all dominant, alpha, and yum... (and still fucking adorable)
“I have thought of nothing for over four years but putting your legs over my shoulders and being buried inside of you,” he said, his voice husky and low, sending tendrils of heat through me.

My all time favourite part of romance books are super-hot kissing scenes, so as long a romance has a super hot kissing scene, with maybe a little groping, I'm a happy bunny. (I'm not a ginormous fan of YA anymore because most of them don't even have kissing.)
I eased him down, my eyes closing as our lips met again, my mouth slanting over his, my tongue sliding into the wet heat, tasting him, tangling with his as we rubbed and ground together. It was slow and languid, deep and building, and I moved my hands, one behind his head, stroking the nape of his neck, the other on his chest, sliding over the hard pectorals, gentling him.

The growl in the back of his throat was very low, very sexy, and as I stroked my tongue over his, I felt his hands slide over my ass, his fingers squeezing tight.

Why a 4.75 and not a 5 you say? Because of Nate [being stabbed I say. While it is still better than Promises where they were shot, it was still ridiculous and annoying. I don't see why it needed to be added.

The ending made me smile though, it was super-dooper cute!
“You know, I’m gonna have you so many times tonight: I want you on your knees, on the bed, in the shower…. I just fuckin’ want you.”
“Why?”
“Because I love you… amore mio… my love….”
“Me too.” I smiled up into those gorgeous eyes. “You’re my love.”
The grin I got was so full of complete and utter happiness that all I could do was kiss him and kiss him and kiss him.
There didn't need to be any more words.

The development of the characters were fantastic, although from other reviews, they are apparently one dimensional, I may not have noticed because it was read out to me... oh em gee and Dreo's voice. *drools* thank you very fucking much Mr. Narrator!

The Narrator is awesome. I would very much like to marry his vocal cords, alas, I don't see that happening though, because it is likely attached to a body. At first I was a little skeptical, maybe thinking he was just having a play around, where the female characters were given a more high pitched voice (reminded me a lot of White Girls.)... which sounded ridiculous, at first, but then I got more used to it, and it was really nice to be able to differ between characters without using too much brain power. He also pronounced the Italian really well, easily switching between the two languages.

The plot was great, with the exception of above. Fluffy kittens and pies.